Big 5 Commitments
Creation Care - Big 5 Commitments for Advent
Check out the bulletin boards in Hansen Hall for the staff and clergy "Big 5" Commitments during Advent. Commit with us by choosing one of the options below and penciling your name in that category!
1. Go Vegan or Meatless Mondays: Try eating vegan for Advent or just one day of the week! “Veganism offers a potent way to shrink our environmental footprint and it can also fuel the highest levels of fitness, while reducing our risk of various chronic diseases."
2. Eliminate Single Use Plastics: Single-use plastics are used only once before they are thrown away or recycled. A few examples of single-use plastics include: disposable wipes, balloons, plastic ribbon and gift decorations, plastic tape, disposable gloves, plastic wrap, and single serve yogurt containers.
3. Buy Second-Hand Clothing: “Extending the average life of clothes by just 3 months per item, would lead to a 5-10% reduction in each of the carbon, water and waste footprints. It keeps clothes out of a landfill, and prevents the production of new clothing items.” Places to shop second-hand: Browse ‘N Buy, Poshmark.com, Tradesy.com, ThredUp.Com (Women/Kids), Grailed (Men)
4. Watch Three Films: Educate yourself and your family by watching three films during Advent. Possible documentaries include Food Inc., Cowspiracy, Plastic Planet, Game Changers, Waste Land.
5. Create a “Sustainability Kit”: With a world full of plastic and throw-away conveniences, try putting together a kit with non-plastic reusable alternatives and keep it handy! Potential items include stainless steel straw, reusable coffee mug, metal spork (fork, spoon, knife), cloth napkin, Pyrex or Eco lunchbox, mason jar, reusable bag.